Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

BRICKS

My dad has hammered toes 
And dented toenails.

Grandma told him that when he was
little, bricks fell on his toes and that's why they're ugly.

But then my little sister was born and her toes looked just like my dad's.

My dad was confused, "there are others like me?" 

Yes.

There are others like you, with imperfections. 
Harmless ones that don't measure your worth.

But people have told you that bricks fell on you. 
Bricks fell on your head, bricks fell on your heart. 
That's why you can't feel, that's why you're not smart but the truth is that imperfections make you perfect. 

And covering your scars and your hammered toes with heavy bricks only hurt more. 

But people blame bricks instead of accepting. 

Accepting. 

People blame bricks because bricks are bricks and then no one is to blame but those stupid old bricks.

They bury themselves, they bury each other because who wants to look ugly with hammered toes and dented nails?

People say hiding their imperfections will make you feel accepted. 

But people blame bricks instead of accepting.




3 comments:

  1. This was so good. Really, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is different from every other brick post I have read and I loved it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Harmless ones that don't measure your worth."
    "And covering your scars and your hammered toes with heavy bricks only hurt more." This is so amazing. I wish people wouldn't blame bricks.

    ReplyDelete